Friday, January 6, 2012

There is no try – for a Happy New Year!

Posted on Friday, January 06, 2012 by International Coach Federation


I gave up on New Year's Resolutions years ago.  It's not that I'm a pessimist; it's just that it never worked!

You see, I always thought that New Year's Resolutions was about giving up stuff, and trying to do things differently.

So I would write the list.  Does this sound familiar?
  • Stop eating junk food.
  • Watch less television.
  • Read a book a week.
  • Give up smoking.
  • Get healthier.
  • Get a better job.
  • And so on…..
And it never worked.

What's the problem?  Well, this list, or any list like it, is just too general, too negative and not at all easy to follow.

Then I realized that the story I was telling myself was looking at the past critically, but not really creating a new story for the future.   You see, if you want make positive change, you need to create a new story.  And that story needs to be encouraging, specific and uplifting.

Here's an example of a New Year's Re-Story!

2012 will be magnificent.  I will embrace the abundance in my life and welcome a healthy, fulfilled and enriched version of me! This means:


  • I will exercise regularly – walk my dog twice a day and go to Zumba classes 3 times a week (fill in your routine here!).
  • I will continue to read books that feed and encourage my creativity – (list 5 books here!).
  • I will cook with my kids regularly and broaden our healthy choices with more salads and fresh fruit, and home baked cakes and cookies for treats!
  • I will explore the following business opportunities (list here those ideas that you haven't looked into fully yet!).
Lisa Bloom, PCC
Do you see the difference?

Most importantly, remember the wise words of Yoda, "do or do not, there is no try!"

Lisa Bloom, PCC is founder of Story Coach Inc. and the Certified Story Coach Program.  Download her ebook ‘Using Stories to Get Great Clients’ at http://www.story-coach.com.

No Response to "There is no try – for a Happy New Year!"

Leave A Reply

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.