Monday, October 8, 2012
Savor the moment
Do you remember your birthdays when you were a kid?
What I remember best was the cake!
My mother would make something very simple, yet it was a cake fit for a queen!
It was a round and chocolate with rich, sweet icing and Smarties (the Irish equivalent of M&Ms) decorating the top.
It was always the same special birthday cake.
I remember that most times I would eat the cake, carefully leaving the icing and the sweets for the last. Then this gooey, sweet treat awaited and became the last perfect, mouth-watering taste.
As I write this I can feel the Pavlovian effect, my taste buds peaked, my mouth watering!
Yesterday I thought about this birthday treat and how I still do the same thing, savoring the very best bits of life.
Let me explain.
Every morning I walk my dog to this really special place. There is a spectacular view across the valley and each day it looks different; the light changes, the sun is in a slightly different position, sometimes it's hazy and each season brings different colors and light.
Well, I noticed that yesterday I walked with my head bowed for most of the way. Then as I got to that very special place where I stand each morning, that spot where the view is most beautiful, I lifted my head. It was breath-taking.
I had savored the special moment until I could practically taste it. I didn't look around me at all during the walk. I waited until I got to the place with the landscape would be most stunning. It was just like the chocolate icing and sweets that the end of the cake. Until that moment I hadn't noticed that this is so often what I do, I simply savor the best bit!
We have so many moments to savor in life. So many special places and amazing people, so many everyday experiences that are truly wonderful!
![]() |
| Lisa Bloom, PCC |
Lisa Bloom, PCC is founder of Story Coach Inc. and the Certified Story Coach Program. Download her ebook ‘Using Stories to Get Great Clients’ at http://www.story-coach.com.


No Response to "Savor the moment"
Leave A Reply
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.