Thursday, November 8, 2012
Coaches are passionate people, and each one of us feels like we have a personal mission to make a difference for others. We are attracted to coaching because we love to work with people – but when it comes to “selling” our services, many of us get a bit uncomfortable.
And yet, we need to be paid for the value we provide. So what’s an up-and-coming coach to do?
It’s simple! Make a mental shift, from “selling your services” to “enrolling people” in the courage, confidence, commitment to getting what they want in life. (That feels better already, doesn’t it?)
Here’s the difference: Selling implies an attempt to influence someone to buy a product. Enrollment is building a relationship with a prospective client and inviting them to work with you. Put another way, it’s the difference between: will they hire me? and how can I serve them?
- Use the complimentary session to focus on authentically connecting with your prospective clients, being of service to them, and building your relationship with them.
- Support them in getting clear about what they really want.
- Ask if they are ready to commit to breaking through and getting to the other side.
- Make the call all about them. Forget about landing a new client; just stay focused on moving this person forward.
- If they indicate they are ready to take action, simply ask the magic question: “Would you like me to be your coach?”
The beautiful part of this process is that it gives your prospect an opportunity to connect with you and experience what it’s like to have your full attention and support. In the end, people buy people – so the easiest way to sell your services is to give people an experience of talking with you.
GET INTO ACTION!
Try this process on and see how it feels for you. Does this shift from selling to enrolling make it easier to engage with your prospects? Do you feel better about discussing a financial commitment after you’ve empowered your prospects to take action? Does it feel less like a sales job and more like a partnership?
|Teresia LaRocque MCC|
Teresia is the founder and facilitator of the Passion into Profit Program, a customized business building program offered through the Erickson Business Center. For free business building tips and advice, join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/EricksonBusinessCenter.