Monday, November 5, 2012

Turbulent Times

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 by International Coach Federation

What a week, what a storm. 

As I type this, I automatically wrote, what a story, and realized that 'Storm' and 'Story' only differ by one letter…..

I'm reminded of August 1992, I was working on cruise ships in the Caribbean and my contract was just finishing.  As we were sailing back towards Miami and I was due to disembark for the very last time, we starting hearing the news flashes about the hurricane.

At first I was delighted!  A hurricane, what fun!  I could take great pictures and what great stories I could tell.  And then I began to listen more closely. 

The first thing I realized was that there was no escaping.  The airports were sending out their last flights, the roads were completely blocked by people fleeing the storm and anyway I didn't have anywhere to go.

A friend offered that the few of us from the crew due to fly home that day would hang out at his house.  We began the preparations. 

We were all very cheerful, it was a great adventure, but I remember the news broadcaster's voices becoming more and more stressed as the storm came closer. There were projections and assumptions, there were estimates and forecasts. And then there was just plain old panic.

It got late; we decided to grab some sleep while we could. We were sleeping on mattresses on the floor in an upstairs bedroom. 

I awoke to the sound of the screaming wind and thudding against the side of the house, Hurricane Andrew had arrived. Rain water was pouring through the closed windows, the trees were bent in half and then there was a huge crash as a ceiling fan smashed to the floor.

We ran downstairs to the tiny space at the bottom and surrounded ourselves with mattresses. The walls were shaking, the dog howling and we were sure the house was about to collapse. There was nothing to do but to wait, listen to the crackling radio signal that came and went, and pray.

We were very lucky. It was a devastating storm, the statistics of which have become legend.  When it was finally over, the electricity was out, water cut off and there were no phone lines. The best thing about that was that we didn't have to hear the frightening news anymore!

It was a truly awesome experience. You understand instantaneously that you can do nothing other than submit to the powers of nature. You have no defense and this is a reality that allows you simply be present.

I remember the email I received from my friend Fiona, in Christchurch New Zealand, just a few days after the massive earthquake that they experienced. She wrote ' such a turbulent time we live in...the Earth is surely giving us an impactful message...so much energy needs to be released. Love is being shown by everyone...so uplifting'.

It seems to me that we stand naked and alone in the face of a storm. But still we have the choice to trust in the inherent goodness of reality and have faith that all outcomes are what they should be. Our experience, beliefs and presence clothe and nurture us throughout the storm.

Lisa Bloom, PCC
With very best wishes to all those that have been affected by Hurricane Sandy, strength, love and faith in these challenging times.

Lisa Bloom, PCC is founder of Story Coach Inc. and the Certified Story Coach Program.  Download her ebook ‘Using Stories to Get Great Clients’ at http://www.story-coach.com.

1 comment:

  1. These are scary times we are living in with Mother Nature. I especially loved this part, "She wrote ' such a turbulent time we live in...the Earth is surely giving us an impactful message...so much energy needs to be released. Love is being shown by everyone...so uplifting'." My thoughts and prayers also go out to all those recovering from Sandy.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.