Friday, February 4, 2011

The Single Most Important Thing for Global Executive Coaches: Readiness to Recognize and Work with Life’s Surprising Opportunities

Posted on Friday, February 04, 2011 by International Coach Federation

Recently I coined the term “Proactive Resilience©” from a lifetime of challenges turned into opportunities. Decades of preparation in international leadership, social science research, power relationships, intercultural mindfulness, systems theory, neuroscience and other disciplines helped, yes. So did a difficult early family, time spent in Eastern Europe during the Cold War, teaching university, being a Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor and going through various certifications and creating Advantara® Global Institute’s Global Executive Coach Certification Program - see http://www.advantara.com/] have also gone into the mix.

But I’d have to say it’s the “who I am,” especially my hope and curiosity, that have translated into a core attitude of “what’s next to learn?” that have been critical in my life and work with global executives. That simple question is the single most important alchemical element in my coaching and also in my personal life. Not only have I been totally (and, fortunately, positively) surprised at the far reaching impact of my coaching engagements and educational programs for global executive coaches, but in my personal life, totally unexpected miracles have happened!

In 2005 I was invited to move to England and live in a friend’s “extra” mansion in England’s West Country; my ancestors had emigrated from here in 1659 and I’ve always felt a strong connection to the landscape. For years I’ve had some excellent colleagues and friends here from previous presentations at ICF Conferences and Chapter meetings from the late 90s onwards. This area became a base for working with clients and educating coaches worldwide (including Europe, Asia, Africa, North and South America, Oceania). But there were some unexpected opportunities as well.

The biggest surprise of all was that, having been quite happily single for many years, I married a retired British man of Scottish and Cornish ancestry. This even came with membership in an ancient Scottish clan of Viking origin (Gunn)!

Has it all been positive or easy? Let’s just say I survived a 4.5 year debilitating illness in the 90s, found my own cure online and got my life back with little help from traditional medicine, which was frustrating. More recently a colleague published a book the outline of which bears an uncanny resemblance to one I presented to his publisher 2.5 years ago. So, no. But – remember Proactive Resilience©? Stay tuned!

While continuing my Global Executive Coaching career, I ‘ve renewed my interest in singing and performing traditional British and American music and writing poetry (recently published in Rick Hansen’s (Co-author of Buddha’s Brain ) Wise Brain Bulletin (http://www.wisebrain.org/WBB4.11.12.pdf p 17). I was invited to join a group of English poets and asked to host a poetry café at The Brewhouse in Taunton Somerset this Spring. I sing and play at folk clubs and singarounds all over Southwest England with my husband (singer and fiddler) in our trusty Motor Caravan! A screenplay is next and a Hollywood producer likes my idea. What’s next?

Hannah S Wilder, MA (Harvard University), PhD (MIT), MCC, Master Team Coach, and Master Certified Global Executive Coach©, Host of The Global Executive Coaching SIG

1 comment:

  1. Meredith has successfully coached entrepreneurs, as well as senior executives at leading institutions such as Johns Hopkins University, Forbes, JP Morgan Chase, Credit Suisse,FuseTV and the World Health Organization. Business leaders doing executive coaching with Meredith have experienced measurable leaps in business results, satisfaction, productivity,wealth, and happiness. www.meredithhaberfeld.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.