Monday, August 15, 2011
You will have experienced that moment - a silence when your question landed and then…. a light bulb sparks, a Damascene flash, when your client gets a life changing insight. They come in many forms - it may be one that lifts a fog and something suddenly makes sense; or it may be about a destructive pattern of behaviour and they realise what they have been doing to themselves. The personal power that insight gives them is the real magic of coaching and the one that can get me so excited I can’t sleep afterwards! (OK, yes, maybe I should get out more!)
Here are some of the things which help me:
- Journaling – what happened and why, how did I think, feel and behave, what have I learned, how will I take that forward.
- CBT – examine my thoughts, feelings and behaviour triggered and find more helpful and positive ones.
- Mentally celebrate if it’s been a positive experience.
- Do something afterwards with a different energy – exercise, lunch with a friend – something else I love!
- Supervision – discussing what happened with a fellow professional is very reassuring and affirming.